Jul 31, 2008

Muditha on Studying at UniSA - Part 3


The Library at Mawson Lakes

In the first half of 2008 Muditha began the Masters of Teaching (LMTC), a two year PG Masters by coursework degree. She is planning to teach SOSE and English. See earlier posts.

Study here is different. As a class we share problems.
I soon found the lectures were very good. They were different from my experience in Sri Lanka because they are done as a presentation not in a lecture form. It’s all about sharing information, arranging discussions with groups, talking with individual students. Lecturers give handouts that are very good. I’ve really enjoyed my studies in all my courses. Even the readings are good: they back me up. My favourite course was Introduction to Australian Education by David Williams. His teaching is very interesting. Earlier I had no idea about the Australian education system. We also got help from Gretchen, a former International graduate student who comes to the lectures and helps with assignments. She is very good.

I was worried about understanding and speaking English: I thought I would not be able to understand the language here. But after coming to class I thought 'I can get it'. The lecturers always give handouts on the topics. I also find that lecturers speak slowly and clearly. Other Australians, in schools and restaurants, speak very quickly. And they speak slang which is not spoken by the lecturers. Here we get lots of encouragement to develop our English and learn local sayings so we can understand other people.


Muditha’s important tips for new students:Make lots of friends in different groups: do not limit yourself only to the people from your own country. Australian friends will help you get an understanding of Australian culture. It’s so interesting: everything is different: eating, talking, everything.

My top 3 tips for new students are:

  1. don’t be anxious about asking for help


  2. give priority to your studies at first. It is easy to lose that focus if you have a job.


  3. be positive about everything that is happening
Muditha

No comments: