May 12, 2008

Lucy shares her perspectives on studying with dyslexia




Andrea Duff and Carolyn Donlan speak with Lucy, First Year Engineering student about succeeding at Uni with dyslexia. Lucy - who describes her dyslexia as 'severe' - was first diagnosed when she was in year 11.

Lucy - how did you know you had dyslexia?

I struggled with reading and writing a fair bit (I was three to four years behind my reading age group). I needed the official diagnosis for extra time in exams.

I didn't want to get tested because I thought it didn't matter either way. Either I had it or not - it wouldn't make any difference. I already knew it was going to take me extra time. After the diagnosis, some of the help was pretty degrading. Some teachers made me stay back (in year 11!) writing particular words 10 times.

Family history is also a good indicator. If you have difficulties you can get tested so you can get extensions.

How - if at all - does dyslexia impact on your studies?

I know what my strengths are. I might be slow in English but I'm good at Maths. Plenty of people who don't have dyslexia are not good at Maths!

You can't complain about having a disability when you don't know what it's like to not to have it.

It's hard to tell how it impacts, but there are some signals. For example, in Physics you might read a question but when you go back you realise you don't understand it.

And your advice to other students?

Focus on your strengths - realise what the strengths are. Realise that's what you'll do best.

Organisation is the key and I try and complete my work a week before the deadline to avoid stress. If something goes wrong at the last minute I have a week's leeway. By doing this, you're not making yourself more busy, just doing things in a different order. It gives you a lot of time to check it.

I use Word spellcheck a fair bit but it's sometimes a problem like when you write a word and the spell check doesn't know exactly what it's meant to be. Computer spell checks are OK for stupid mistakes.

Also, it's sometimes useful to tape what you want to say and then type it.

Finally...

It's all about determination. If you really want to do well, you'll find a way to do well.

If you are keen to improve your quality of work, finish your assignments before they are due.

No comments: